Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
Makes8 servings (2 cups gravy)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (24 ounces) salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sprinkle roast with garlic salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; brown roast on all sides. Transfer meat to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine salsa, water, onion, jalapeno and taco seasoning; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-7 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Reserve 2 cups cooking juices from slow cooker; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices.
- Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into salsa mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast.
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
5 ounces cooked beef with 1/4 cup sauce: 402 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 884mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 39g protein.