World News

Syria: estimated number of UK children trapped doubles to 60

Advertisements

 

She added: “The camps with the majority of foreign women and children have not yet been reached by fighting and remain under the control of the Kurdish authorities. The time to act is now.”

Save the Children said its staff in Syria had recently spoken to a British mother with two young children – a baby and a child under five – in one of the camps. She told the charity she knew of at least 15 other British children in the same camp.

On Saturday Whitehall sources confirmed the government was working with “various agencies” in north-east Syria – believed to include the International Committee of the Red Cross – to kickstart the process of transferring children of British parents linked to Isis back to the UK.

Among the first cases identified are three orphans believed to have travelled to Syria with their parents from London five years ago and who are currently in Raqqa, under the control of the Kurdish-dominated militia, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

Last week the Guardian reported on efforts by Belgium and other European states to begin preparing to evacuate citizens accused of having links to Isis from detention camps in north-east Syria through a newly declared “safe zone” being carved out by Turkish forces along the border.

Belgian officials informed family members of detainees held in two camps on Friday that they would attempt to take advantage of a five-day ceasefire to retrieve nationals allegedly tied to the terror group.

Turkey wants to clear the area of SDF soldiers, who had spearheaded the fight against Isis. It regards Kurdish fighters as proxies for the Kurdistan Workers’ party (PKK), which has waged a 35-year insurgency against the Turkish state.

Trump’s move prompted fears that the ensuing vacuum could lead to a collapse of security at the four main camps for Isis detainees and their families. Kurdish guards have already abandoned one detention centre, allowing up to 800 detainees, among them Isis members, to walk out.

As the climate crisis escalates…

… the Guardian will not stay quiet. This is our pledge: we will continue to give global heating, wildlife extinction and pollution the urgent attention and prominence they demand. The Guardian recognises the climate emergency as the defining issue of our times.

Our independence means we are free to investigate and challenge inaction by those in power. We will inform our readers about threats to the environment based on scientific facts, not driven by commercial or political interests. And we have made several important changes to our style guide to ensure the language we use accurately reflects the environmental catastrophe.

The Guardian believes that the problems we face on the climate crisis are systemic and that fundamental societal change is needed. We will keep reporting on the efforts of individuals and communities around the world who are fearlessly taking a stand for future generations and the preservation of human life on earth. We want their stories to inspire hope. We will also report back on our own progress as an organisation, as we take important steps to address our impact on the environment.

You’ve read 31 Guardian articles in the last two months – made possible by our choice to keep Guardian journalism open to all. We do not have a paywall because we believe everyone deserves access to factual information, regardless of where they live or what they can afford.

We hope you will consider supporting the Guardian’s open, independent reporting today. Every contribution from our readers, however big or small, is so valuable. Support us from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

Original Content from respected publisher hereVIEW WEBSITE)

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close